Update: Man with knife on campus on Mar. 22
March 22, 2023
EAST LANSING, Mich. — The Michigan State University Department of Police and Public Safety (MSU DPPS) is committed to sharing accurate and timely information whenever an incident occurs.
On March 22, 2023, the Michigan State University Department of Police and Public Safety and the East Lansing Police Department (ELPD) responded to an altercation at a business in downtown East Lansing. The altercation involved a man and employees of the business. The man was seen with a knife when he left the business and walked across Grand River Ave. toward campus. He was then seen near the area of Ramp 6 on campus.
To proceed on the side of caution, the MSU Alert system was launched. Officers from MSU DPPS and ELPD quickly responded and located the suspect in downtown East Lansing. The suspect was taken into custody by ELPD. No one was hurt in the incident.
MSU DPPS stands committed to our community. If you ever need us, please reach out at 517-355-2221 or 911 for emergencies. On-campus support resources are listed below.
- MSU Student Health Services
- General info: 517-884-6526; Nurse on-call: 517-353-9165
- MSU Employee Assistance Program
- EAP is a confidential, free counseling service for employees: 517-355-4506, email@example.com.
- Counseling and Psychiatry Services
- CAPS is the place for students seeking help for a wide range of health concerns.
- MSU Department of Psychiatry
- Psychiatry Clinic: 517-353-3070
Dana Whyte, Communications Manager and Spokesperson, Michigan State University Department of Police and Public Safety