Michigan State University has a policy that prohibits relationship violence and sexual misconduct, including sexual assault. The Office of Institutional Equity (OIE) is responsible for investigation of policy violations, while the MSU Department of Police and Public Safety (DPPS) investigates criminal complaints which occur on campus.
What to expect when meeting with MSU DPPS:
- We will use trauma-informed practices in our interactions and investigations.
- We will meet with you privately to provide informed options.
- We will work with you to determine where/how to meet so that you feel comfortable.
- We will connect you with advocacy and medical resources.
- We will support you during the investigation and keep you informed of progress.
- We will continue to be available for you, to answer your questions and to explain the systems and processes involved.
- We will not release your name to the public or media.
- We will not notify your parent or guardian, unless you are a minor.