Michigan State University Police and Public Safety members have developed an Ethical Guarantee to guide officers' actions and to strengthen relationships between law enforcement and the community. Because we are bonded by the diversity of different nationalities, languages and backgrounds, the following principles will provide an ethical guide for all members of MSU DPPS. As a basis of promoting good will, trust, confidence and cooperation between the citizens of the Michigan State University community and all members of MSU DPPS, as well as adhering to the department’s values, mission and vision the following Ethical Guarantee is submitted:
- We, as MSU DPPS members, will continue to prioritize the protection of life and property for all citizens. However, the members of this department will not utilize characteristics such as race, color, nationality, age, sexual orientation, gender, disability or religion as the sole or primary justification for contact and/or enforcement action. For example, traffic stops based solely on race are not acceptable, and will not be tolerated.
- We will strive to achieve diversity in the department that will reflect the community we serve.
- We acknowledge individuality by striving to treat everyone with dignity and respect while striving to maintain effective and positive communications.
- We have a sense of personal obligation to every citizen, and we will conduct all citizen contacts with courtesy, excellence and compassion. We also recognize that each interaction is a separate and unique situation, and it will not be based on prejudice, discrimination or bias.
- We will strive to achieve the highest standards of integrity and professionalism. We also acknowledge that courtesy and excellence are achieved through people, and we will utilize hiring, training, technology, community input and innovation to achieve these goals.
- We will make decisions in the light of what is right, rather than what is expedient in a given situation.
- We will actively seek out and listen to the needs and concerns of the MSU community and its citizens.
- We will continually plan for the future so that we can control our destiny without letting society’s challenges overwhelm us.
- As individuals and as a department, we will endeavor to uphold these ethical standards so that we may be respected and trusted by the community we serve.
MSU DPPS works with the community to make MSU’s campus friendly, safe, and orderly for all students, faculty, staff, and visitors.